Porsche 1985 MY: the 944
New dashboard, improved chassis and new seats
The model update
of the current successful Porsche model of the four-cylinder series, was unusually intensive
. The Porsche 944 as a distinctive representative of the transaxle series, which has long been one of the most popular sports cars in the world and of which more than 60,000 units have rolled off the production line since the start of production in January 1982, is not only presented in a technically upgraded
manner. In fact, the 220 km / h fast and 163 PS (120 kW) strong car, which since the beginning met and even fell below the strictest emission limits in Europe, differs in many respects even visually
from the 1984 model.
Following the course of time, the 944 is now also available as a catalytic converter model, and every 944 has been leaving the factory since February 1985 with a pre-installation that allows for the subsequent installation of a catalytic converter. New for Europe is a further measure, environmental protection. takes more into account the efforts to do with the Porsche 944: every new one has an activated charcoal filter installed in the tank system as standard, which gasoline prevents evaporation.
Body and chassis: optically changed and technically improved
The new look of the 944 primarily includes the new rims, which are already used on the Carrera, in addition to the rain strip now made of aluminum (previously plastic). The seven inch wide aluminum rims in the striking telephone styling are part of the standard equipment.
As a visual differentiation compared to the 1984 model, the windshield that is flush with the body should also be listed, a measure that primarily serves to improve the Cw value. In order to rule out vandalism, the second generation Porsche 944 has an active windshield antenna which, in conjunction with a power amplifier, guarantees optimum reception.
The range of action is now significantly larger. With the fuel tank of the well-known economical four-cylinder, which has been enlarged from 66 liters to 80 liters, it is now possible, depending on the driving style, to cover up to 1,000 kilometers without refueling. Those who opt for a catalytic converter version can even venture into neighboring, but lead-free, foreign countries with this range.
The 944 has also been effectively improved in terms of passive safety. Anti intrusions planks are now installed in the two doors, which guarantee a high level of protection for the occupants in the event of a side impact. Porsche is now also offering this measure, previously prescribed in the USA, in Europe at no extra charge.
The intensive model update also continues underneath the car. The chassis of the agile and yet fuel-efficient four-cylinder now features cast aluminum front and rear axle links. These chassis elements, which are significantly lighter and at the same time stiffer than those previously used, can also be found in the Porsche 944 Turbo, which celebrated its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1985.
The improvements that make driving easier and more pleasant also include the standard tinted windows all around and the heated washer nozzles.
Engine: more powerful alternator, reduced octane rating.
The unusually smooth-running and elastic engine, the characteristics of which correspond to a six-cylinder, has also been thoroughly revised. Thanks to the redesigned combustion chamber, the machine is now satisfied with a premium quality of 96 RON, previously it was 98 RON. In addition, the Porsche technicians donated a new camshaft and an idle filling control to the engine.
In order to ensure that the battery is not overloaded during the cold season and when all power-guzzling additional units are used, the new 944 has a new alternator that has at least 115 amperes (so far 90A). This allows to the Swabian sports to have a general increase of the electricity production capabilities.
A two-stage fan switch for cooling fans in the new 944 is responsible for a noticeably reduced noise level: When the load is low, only the barely audible first stage runs.
Interior: new seats, new dashboard
The model update is most noticeable on the Porsche 944 in the completely redesigned interior. Perhaps the most striking features of the new 944 generation are the control panel with an instrument unit similar to the 928 and the center console, which no longer bears any resemblance to the console previously used. All the switches on the dashboard have been redesigned and rearranged and are even more functional. In addition, a stronger ventilation and heating system in connection with an optimized distribution of the air ensures the well-being of the occupants.
Important for tall 944 drivers: by redesigning the entire dashboard, the steering column could be moved up by exactly 12 millimeters, thereby noticeably improving the freedom of the knees.
The seats that have been installed in the Porsche Carrera and Porsche 928 for a few months now are more comfortable than before. The new generation of seats, designed according to the most modern ergonomic criteria, has particularly easy-to-grip actuating levers for fine length and backrest adjustment, the driver's seat on the 944 is equipped with electrical height adjustment as standard. The seat mounts are infinitely adjustable separately at the front and rear.
In addition to the two make-up mirrors that can be covered in the sun visors, the new interior also includes the conveniently placed handbrake and the four-spoke steering wheel with Porsche lettering on the horn plate, familiar from Carrera.
For the first time in the history of the 944, fans of the sporty four-cylinder can also enjoy those keys that were previously reserved for the Carrera and 928 communities: the keys of the 944 models from 1985 now come with a tiny light source.
944 accessories: even more extensive
The range of useful accessories for the Porsche 944 from 1985 has been expanded considerably. Among other things, electric seat heating (only for the driver's seat or in conjunction with sports seats) and sports seats on the left and right with electric height adjustment can be ordered. The automatic version of the heating and air conditioning can be installed in the same way as the 928; there is the automatic transmission with an additional instrument cluster and a four-spoke steering wheel with a diameter of just 360 millimeters.
The Porsche 911 Turbo wheels (front seven inches, 205/55 VR16, rear eight inches 225/50 VR16) are new in the accessories program.
Porsche offers particularly sporty drivers a Clubsport chassis that includes the following parts: shorter and shorter coil springs at the front, stronger torsion bars at the rear, stronger stabilizers at the rear, sport shock absorbers, lowered chassis and ventilation openings for front brake cooling.
Porsche 944: the most important changes and innovations
- Engine: idle filling control, new camshaft, lower octane number requirement (96 instead of 98 RON), more powerful alternator (115 instead of 90 A), two-stage fan circuit for cooling fan, preparation for subsequent installation of a catalytic converter . (Fuel consumption super unleaded).
- Chassis: seven inch wide aluminum rims with hole styling, front and rear axle links made of aluminum.
- Body: active windshield antenna, windshield flush with the body, aluminum rain strip (previously plastic) 80 liter plastic tank (previously 66 liter) plastic shells for the inside of the fender, increased strength of the doors through the installation of planks.
- Interior: new control panel, steering column moved upwards by 12 mm, new center console, modified door panels, new control switches, stronger ventilation and heating system, new seats with easy-to-reach adjustment for length and backrest, electrically adjustable driver's seat, four-spoke steering wheel with Porsche Lettering on the baffle plate, redesigned handbrake lever, cover for make-up mirror in the sun visors.
Technical data PORSCHE 944
- Body: two-door coupé body 2 + 2-seater, loading flap in the rear
- Engine: 4 cylinder four-stroke in-line engine, water-cooled, overhead camshaft driven by timing belts, 2 balance shafts for mass balancing
- Bore: 100 mm
- Stroke: 78,9 mm
- Displacement: 2479 CC
- Compression: 10,6 : 1
- Engine output: 120 kW at 5800 rpm (163 PS)
- Max. Torque: 205 Nm at 3000 rpm (20.9 kgm)
- Power transmission: Transaxle unit with front engine and gearbox in the rear, screwed to a rigid drive unit by means of a connecting pipe.
- Brakes: Hydraulic 2-circuit brake system, internally ventilated brake discs at the front and rear , Brake booster
- DIN curb weight 1210 kg,
- Gross vehicle weight 1530 kg
- Acceleration from 0 to 100 km / h in 8.4 seconds (9.6 seconds automatic)
- Top speed 220 km / h
- Fuel consumption:
- at 90 km / h 6.4 l/100 (Aut. 6.5 l/100)
- at 120 km / h 8.0 l/100 (Aut. 8.1 1/100)
- City travel 11.5 l/100 (Aut. 11.3 1/100 )